Her Honour's speech was titled "Judicial Cooperation in Cross-Border Insolvency" in which her Honour examined the various forms international judicial cooperation.
In addition, her Honour referred to Australia's involvement with ABLI and, in particular, ABLI's Asian Principles of Restructuring project.
The ABLI was launched in January 2016 in Singapore, in conjunction with the International conference on “Doing Business Across Asia – Legal Convergence in an Asian Century”. Its Board of Governors is chaired by Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon of the Supreme Court of Singapore. The Board includes the Honourable Robert French AC, former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, and the Honourable Kevin Lindgren AM QC FAAL, former Judge of the Federal Court.
ABLI’s inaugural Advisory Board includes the following Australian members, nominated by the Board of Governors:
• Professor Richard Garnett, Professor of Law, University of Melbourne.
• Professor Rosalind Mason, Professor of Insolvency & Restructuring Law, Faculty of Law, Law School, Queensland University of Technology.
• Mr Donald Robertson, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills.
ABLI’s current projects are entitled:
(1) Asian Principles of Business Restructuring. This project, jointly undertaken with the International Insolvency Institute, is working towards the convergence of procedures and practices for business reorganisation regimes in Asia. Chief Justice Allsop and Justice Markovic are members of the Advisory Committee for this project.
(2) Convergence of the rules and standards for cross-border data transfers in Asia. This project is working towards the convergence of rules and standards for cross-border transfers in Asia.
(3) Asian Principles for the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments. This project is working towards the convergence of the substantive laws of Asia on the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments.
Her Honour has kindly provided ABLI with a copy of her Honour's speech which you can download here.